Fireborn: Dark Phoenix
Miscellaneous and Minor Rules Updates
Revisions to Existing Rules
- The “Shadow Spinner” Power, rather than simply ignoring armour, now attacks the opponent’s Mana Pool, dealing Drain (which may become physical damage). The base damage is now three per success on Air (Will) to maintain the power.
- The “Hoard”, “Arsenal” and “Windfall” Edges do not exist.
- The “Withdraw” combat action now exists. Withdraw must be the first move in the sequence and all other moves must be positioning moves or Ready moves, which must move them away from combat by the most expedient route. Enemies within Reach at the start of the character’s action cannot attempt to oppose, and the character cannot voluntarily (or knowingly) approach another opponent with a Withdraw. [Normally a character in melee could have an opposed check rolled against them to prevent them breaking away from combat; note that a counterattack is only possible if the character was attempting at least one attack.]
- [Technically this is a clarification rather than a change] Knowledge skills are encouraged to be broad; however specialised topics will have much higher THs. If a character chooses a highly specific Knowledge skill, they will be permitted (relatively) generous Defaulting using it – skills are a relatively large investment in Fireborn, compared to many game systems.
- No spell or effect produced by magic can exceed the character’s Karmic Range. Note that Hemispherical range is effectively the entire world, since the world encloses itself.
- Spells or effects requiring a target but are useable at long range, must be targeted precisely. For many spells and effects this is effectively impossible over vast distances (e.g. if a fiery ray spell were fired from a mountaintop at a target many miles away, it is almost guaranteed to miss – people cannot aim so accurately).
- Child of Fire, Coldspawn, and Heir of the Storm (and any related powers that may come into existence based on these) now stage down wounds differently. At rank 1, they stage down wounds by 1 die; at rank 2, 3 dice; at rank 3, 5 dice; at rank 4, 7 dice; and at rank 5, 9 dice and the character can heal minor wounds from exposure to the element (unless they have taken damage even after staging the damage down). In addition, characters can choose to activate their auras at lower ranks than the maximum if they choose (so a character with Child of Fire does not have to burn their equipment if they choose a rank 2 Immolate ability – but they would be unable to use the Rank 4 explosion ability of the aura if it’s active at a lower rank).
- Sometimes skill checks cannot really have characters aiding one another (making a Knowledge check, where only the highest result really matters); but sometimes a highly collaborative effort is essential (e.g. performing Research, where more people helping produces a result much faster); and sometimes it will be in between. In these cases, the primary character who’s being aided gains one reroll for every four successes achieved by the aidee. Certain atypical situations may give higher or lower bonuses, or have different effects altogether, but this will be the baseline for aiding others.
- The “Aim” Mental action grants 4 bonus damage per success, up to a maximum of double the weapon’s base damage.
- When using Alternate Form, the -4 penalty to skill checks applies only if the new anatomy would impede the check (e.g. as a dog, trying to walk upright). Certain actions may be impossible, or have more severe ad-hoc penalties (e.g. as a dog, trying to play a saxophone would be entirely impossible; trying to play a piano would be nearly impossible but would have a much bigger penalty than just -4). In addition, do not change supernatural aspects or Magic/Nature Affinity when shapeshifting. Whatever the outward appearance, deep inside the character is still the same creature and does not entirely share the new form’s bonuses or penalties; but since the character is an imperfect copy of whatever shape they are mimicking, it may be possible for wily opponents to test and spot these indications of shapeshifting. Note that this only applies to Alternate Form; other methods (or impositions) of shapeshifting may not have these drawbacks.
- When using Gaze of the Predator, by default it takes both a Mental and Physical action if the victim is not really meeting your gaze (e.g. in combat). The physical action can be in the form of an action sequence, allowing movement to be used as well (this will be the “Gaze” physical move, governed by Ranged). Outside combat if the target looks you in the eye, it is only a mental action.
- Karmic Items will change significantly. Any magic items can still be drained to replenish Karma; but other effects, such as ability to heal from them, will be linked to specific items rather than a general purpose effect. Magic items will be rarer in general; but creating simple ones via rituals or Symbology will be possible. In practice, the main use of magic items will be to function as Keys or Spell components directly.
- To calculate Overland Movement Rates, multiply a character’s modified Stride distance (i.e. base Stride multiplied by Gait modifier) by the average of the character’s Fire and Water scores, then divide by 10. This gives the kilometers the character can cover in 1 hour of brisk walking at their best endurance walking pace. In other words, the base formula will be Stride Distance (in feet) x Gait multiplier x ((Fire+Water)/2) / 10.
- Playtest amendments:
-Non-Aligned Mana-Drain-For-Karma clarified to “Once per 24 hours”
-Magic-Aligned Mana Pool bonus changed to “Earth plus one” instead of double Earth.
-Nature-Aligned Mana Pool penalty changed to “Earth minus one” instead of half Earth, and they always take at least a minor drain from Mana Draw (i.e. “Ignore Damage” threshold of zero).
-Spell creation THs (and time requirements) clarified in the Spells section.
-Magical healing effects have been clarified to be a rank 1 ritual; each additional wound to be healed increases the TH by 5.
-Karmic/Runesmithed/Symbological Items, when inactivated (e.g. by being drained to regain karma) regenerate according to the following table:
Rank 1: 5 Weeks
Rank 2: 4 Weeks
Rank 3: 3 Weeks
Rank 4: 2 Weeks
Rank 5: 1 Week
-Symbols can only be used to create a certain number of child symbols in a given amount of time (roughly each decade); the precise numbers of child symbols creatable are listed under the Symbolweaver power.